Sunday, June 04, 2006

third time ain't no charm...

... when we're talking about asthma attacks.

Last Thursday, the moment I felt the wheezes really coming through was when I found myself panting from the short walk to the hotel room in Mersing and thought "uh oh I can just see where this might be heading to". Course at first I thought it's just due to exhaustion from the day trip, but it just got worse and worse and finally at B's insistence ("Your wheezing and coughing is scaring the shit out of me la") I went into a pharmacy (clinics in Mersing closed already at 9pm, somehow) and asked for anything OTC.

"Inhaler, or pills?"

(Whoa, I didn't even know there's OTC pills for that. Told ya, it's been a while)
"Erm, pills please"

"How's your heartbeat? I gotta know that to give out OTC asthma medication"

(Huh? You think I'll admit something else is not right with me issit. They don't call me Ted the Iron Lady for nothing kay!)
"Dunno la. As usual, I suppose?"

"If it's too fast I couldn't give you the strong stuff"


"Would you mind if I check your blood pressure first?"

"Uhm.. okay"

Oh his name is Nik Mansur teehee

"81. That's kinda fast. I can only give you Volmax, not the other one"

"Whatever long as I'll get to sleep tonight"


Three times, this year alone (and it's only June), when previously there'd be perhaps only one attack a year since the days I left school.

I could blame it all on the air-conditioning, but with the way things have been going on recently I'm beginning to realize it might be rather something else. And that something else, could well be the s-t-r-e-s-s.

Yes, despite the fact that I had a very enjoyable companion (as B said, you're together with someone for more than 6 hours and bam! you get to know all those weird things about them), that niggling thought of the work I left behind and some other stuff is still at the back of my mind most of the time. Again, the Mersing stint is a work-related trip. In fact, in the last 10 days I've been on work-related trips to Pahang (then back), Kedah (then back) and finally Johor, with one- or two-day space in between before the next.

Big Boss has been telling me it's too much and chided me for the scheduling, but it's too late as everything's been set by then. And bla-bla-bla-bla. I didn't realize I actually had a choice, ya'know?

Ah well. We'll see how things go later. There's still about four tonnes of stuff I'm trying to get through before my Jakarta holiday with B comes up mid-June. I'll try taking it easy till then, if such a thing is possible.

In the meantime, better keep the Volmax tabs handy, I suppose.

No comments: